You’re a homeowner and determined your home’s roof needs fixing or needs to be improved with a replacement roof. You’re all set to get moving. What’s the optimal way to get a high quality roofer who will accomplish a good job? What could you look for in a roof contractor or contractor to obtain this work? Northeast Colorado Springs
When homeowners choose to repair a roof or replace that roof with asphalt during the cold winter months, they’re often plagued by worries that their family will freeze before the job is completed. In the same vein, those starting a roofing job in the sweltering summer months worry that they’ll be facing heat stroke. These concerns are perfectly normal and common among many homeowners looking for roofing fixes or roof replacement contractors.
Northeast Colorado Springs
Having the roof replaced can be one of the most costly things a homeowner has to encounter. Depending on the size of the home, a new roof can cost a few thousand dollars all the way up to tens of thousands of dollars. This is why it is vital to make sure you hire a qualified roofer who has a track record of proving quality service. Below are 10 things to consider before you hire a roofing company for your roof replacement job:
- Make sure the contractor is licensed in your local area. Have the contractor provide you with his or her licensing number and ensure it is valid.
- Ask for a minimum of three references from previous customers. Call the customers and ask them for the specifics of their job. Ask what problems they encountered and how the company addressed or fix any issues.
- Get bids from multiple companies. Three is a good number here. Get three companies to come out and ask them to provide cost estimates and references then compare all to find the one that seems best.
- Check with your insurance company to make sure the company is an approved contractor (if your homeowner's policy is paying for any part of the replacement of your roof).
- Check with the local better business bureau and read any complaints. You can also check with online services like Angie's List or Service Magic to read reviews from consumers in your local area (these last two will charge a minimal fee for access to this type of information).
- As for a copy of the companies current liability insurance plan to protect you if anything goes wrong.
- Ask to make sure the company has all relevant permits to begin the roofing construction project.
- Ask friends, family members and your insurance agent or banker if they have any recommendations for a good quality company.
- Do not pay up front for the job and do not pay in cash. If anything is requested, pay no more than 10 percent up front and never pay anything in advance of the work that has been completed.
- Get a written contract that spells out the entire price for the work and the materials. Make sure you stipulate that any additional materials will be paid by the contractor.
If you follow these 10 tips, you should feel confident that you have a good company to work with.
Different Types Of Roofing Services
If you are a homeowner who is facing an urgent issue with your roof, you may be tempted to contact a roofing contractor right away, with the idea that any delay is wasted time. However, unless you are facing a leak or some other type of damage to the weatherized seal of your roof during a rainstorm or snowstorm, you will probably benefit from doing a little preliminary research before you make that first contact attempt to a roofing contractor. Read on to learn how to prepare for the conversation and to ensure that you receive the best deal on your next roofing project.
Know Your Materials
One of the most important steps that you can take to make yourself knowledgeable and prepared before your conversation with a roofing contractor is to make sure you know the differences between the most popular types of roofing materials, including their price, installation process, and durability.
Understand Cost Variables
Another key thing that you can do to prepare yourself for a roof replacement project is to understand what factors will influence the quote for your roofing project. Key factors such as your home's square footage, the pitch of your roof, materials used, the roofing contractor used, and in the time of year can influence the cost of your final quote. These costs can range from a minimum of $7,000 to over $100,000. Make sure that you are prepared to look over any quotes that you receive with a fine tooth comb and do your research ahead of time.