You’re a homeowner and determined your home’s roof needs fixing or needs to be improved with a replacement roof. You’re all set to get moving. What’s the optimal way to get a high quality roofer who will accomplish a good job? What could you look for in a roof contractor or contractor to obtain this work? Monument
When homeowners choose to repair a roof or replace that roof with asphalt during the cold winter months, they’re often plagued by worries that their family will freeze before the job is completed. In the same vein, those starting a roofing job in the sweltering summer months worry that they’ll be facing heat stroke. These concerns are perfectly normal and common among many homeowners looking for roofing fixes or roof replacement contractors.
Having the roof replaced can be one of the most costly things a homeowner has to encounter. Depending on the size of the home, a new roof can cost a few thousand dollars all the way up to tens of thousands of dollars. This is why it is vital to make sure you hire a qualified roofer who has a track record of proving quality service. Below are 10 things to consider before you hire a roofing company for your roof replacement job:
- Make sure the contractor is licensed in your local area. Have the contractor provide you with his or her licensing number and ensure it is valid.
- Ask for a minimum of three references from previous customers. Call the customers and ask them for the specifics of their job. Ask what problems they encountered and how the company addressed or fix any issues.
- Get bids from multiple companies. Three is a good number here. Get three companies to come out and ask them to provide cost estimates and references then compare all to find the one that seems best.
- Check with your insurance company to make sure the company is an approved contractor (if your homeowner's policy is paying for any part of the replacement of your roof).
- Check with the local better business bureau and read any complaints. You can also check with online services like Angie's List or Service Magic to read reviews from consumers in your local area (these last two will charge a minimal fee for access to this type of information).
- As for a copy of the companies current liability insurance plan to protect you if anything goes wrong.
- Ask to make sure the company has all relevant permits to begin the roofing construction project.
- Ask friends, family members and your insurance agent or banker if they have any recommendations for a good quality company.
- Do not pay up front for the job and do not pay in cash. If anything is requested, pay no more than 10 percent up front and never pay anything in advance of the work that has been completed.
- Get a written contract that spells out the entire price for the work and the materials. Make sure you stipulate that any additional materials will be paid by the contractor.
If you follow these 10 tips, you should feel confident that you have a good company to work with.
What to Consider Before Replacing Your Roof
1. What should I look for when selecting a roofing contractor?
Since the roof you install is only as good as the contractor who installs it, choosing a qualified roofing contractor is essential to having a healthy roof that lasts a long time. Skilled workers will determine the outcome of a roof replacement project. The best contractors have many years of experience in installing multiple kinds of roofing systems.
Another way to test the quality of the contractor and business is to ask for references that have had complaints. Since it is possible for any roof to have a problem, it is important to know how the contractor deals with past clients. A good contractor makes a commitment to their clients and the work they have done.
2. How much roof maintenance is needed after installation?
Since all roofing types and materials need different amounts of maintenance, there is no simple answer. Routine maintenance can be anything from keeping your drains and gutters clean to extensive work. Maintaining your roof is your responsibility, so whichever material you choose; make sure that you will be able to fulfill its maintenance needs.
7. When is the best time of year to install a roof?
The best condition for installing a roof is when the temperature is above freezing and there is minimal chance of snow and rain. Since you cannot predict bad weather, always know that installation delays may occur.
8. How do I know when my current roof needs to be replaced?
Different roofs deteriorate at different rates. If you see any of the following signs, it is time to consider replacing your roof:
- Leaks in numerous places
- Continuous leaks, even with repairs
- Problems return soon after repairs
- Repairs do not fix the problem